Protecting your privacy
At Giftcards2Canada we value and protect your personal information. We do not keep any credit card information. We follow all Canadian regulations on personal data and its protection. We do not sell your information to any other firms.
During regular Giftcards2Canada activities, Giftcards2Canada will gather and use personal information. Personal information gathered by Giftcards2Canada is kept in confidence. Giftcards2Canada staff are authorized to access personal information based only on their need to deal with the information for the reasons it was obtained. Giftcards2Canada also take steps to ensure the integrity of this information is maintained and prevent it from being lost or destroyed.
This policy is based on the Ten Privacy Principles contained in the Government of Canada National Standard of Canada Entitled Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information, CAN/CSA-Q830-96.
Scope of policy
This policy applies to the personal information of customers of Giftcards2Canada. It does not apply to employee personal information. This policy does not apply to the collection, use or disclosure of your contact information or publically available information by Giftcards2Canada.
- “Giftcards2Canada” or ”Giftcards2Canada” or means Giftcards2Canada of Canada which operates in Nova Scotia, Canada.
- “collection” means gathering, acquiring or obtaining personal information from any source, including third parties, by any means.
- “consent” means voluntary agreement to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information for specified purposes. Consent may be expressed or implied. Expressed consent may be given in writing or orally. Implied consent is when Giftcards2Canada can reasonably infer consent based on your action or inaction.
- “disclosure” means making personal information available to others outside Giftcards2Canada
- “personal information” means information about an identifiable person that includes age, gender, ethnic origin, financial and credit information, personal health information, personal habits, personal interests, personal history, consumer preference information.
- “business information” means information to contact a person at a business. This may include name, title, and business contact information.
- “privacy officer” means a person designated by Giftcards2Canada to ensure compliance of this policy.
- “third party” means a person or organization other than yourself and Giftcards2Canada.
- “use” means the treatment and handling or personal information with Giftcards2Canada.
- “customer” means anyone using the services of Giftcards2Canada
- “recipient” means the person that the customer is sending the products to.
- “you” means a Giftcards2Canada customer, recipient and anyone else from whom Giftcards2Canada collects personal information.
- Accountability: Giftcards2Canada is responsible for personal information under its control, including information that has been transferred to a third party for processing. Giftcards2Canada shall use contractual or other means to provide a comparable level of protection while the information is being processed by a third party.Giftcards2Canada has designated a Privacy Officer to ensure compliance with this policy. Giftcards2Canada will implement procedures to protect personal information, establish procedures to receive and respond to complaints and inquiries, train staff and communicate to staff information about the organization’s policies and practices; and developing information to explain the organization’s policies and procedures.
- Identifying Purposes: The purposes for which personal information is collected shall be identified by Giftcards2Canada at or before the time the information is collected. Giftcards2Canada will provide, on request, contact information for the privacy officer who can answer questions about the collection.Giftcards2Canada may collect your personal information and the personal information of the recipient for the following purposes:
- To provide and administer products and services through Giftcards2Canada
- To conduct surveys or research
- To contact you for special events, promotions, and other similar matters which are directly or indirectly beneficial to Giftcards2Canada
- To authenticate your identity
- To disclose information to third parties (with your permission) to protect Giftcards2Canada and others from fraud and error and to safeguard the interests of Giftcards2Canada and its staff and representatives
- To administer relations with municipal, provincial and federal authorities
- To comply with Canadian Revenue Agency requirements
- To comply with any legal or regulatory requirement
- To use and disclose for any other purpose directly or indirectly related to the establishment or operations of Giftcards2Canada.The above collections, uses and disclosures are a reasonably necessary part of your relationship with Giftcards2Canada. When personal information that has been collected is to be used for a purpose not previously identified, the new purpose shall be identified prior to use unless the new purpose is permitted or required by law.
- Consent: Giftcards2Canada will obtain your consent to collect, use or disclose personal information except where Giftcards2Canada is permitted or required by law to do so without consent. For example Giftcards2Canada may collect, use or disclose personal information without your consent where:
- Giftcards2Canada reasonably expects that obtaining consent would compromise an investigation or proceeding;
- Giftcards2Canada’s use of the information is for acting in an emergency that threatens a person’s life, health or personal security;
- Giftcards2Canada is obtaining legal advice; or
- Giftcards2Canada needs to deal with an anticipated breach of law.Giftcards2Canada will make reasonable efforts to ensure that you understand how your personal information will be used and disclosed.Your consent may be express or implied and may be given through an authorized representative such as a lawyer or agent. If you are under the legal age, your consent may be obtained from a parent or guardian.
Express consent may be given orally, in writing or electronically. Consent may be implied by Giftcards2Canada if the purpose for the collection of the information would be reasonably obvious to you and is given voluntarily by you for that purpose. Consent may also be implied where Giftcards2Canada notifies you that Giftcards2Canada intends to collect, use or disclose information and you do not decline Giftcards2Canada’s intended action within a reasonable period of time. The manner in which Giftcards2Canada obtains consent for the collection of personal information will vary with the sensitivity of the information being collected.
You may withdraw your consent at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions, provided that Giftcards2Canada is given reasonable written notice. Giftcards2Canada will inform you of the likely consequences of the withdrawal of consent, which may include the inability of Giftcards2Canada to provide products or services to you.
- Limits for Collection Personal Information: Giftcards2Canada will only collect personal information that is reasonably necessary to provide a product or service either directly or indirectly and which is reasonably necessary for the purposes which you consented to. Giftcards2Canada will collect personal information by lawful means. Giftcards2Canada may also collect information as permitted or required by law.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention: The collection of personal information shall be limited to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by Giftcards2Canada. Information shall be collected by fair and lawful means. Giftcards2Canada may periodically use your personal information to do surveys to improve Giftcards2Canada’s products and services. Giftcards2Canada will not sell customer or recipient information to third parties. Giftcards2Canada will retain your personal information only as long as necessary for the identified purpose or necessary legal or business purpose.
- Accuracy: Giftcards2Canada will make reasonable efforts to make sure your personal information shall be as accurate, complete and up-to-date as necessary for the purposes for which it was collected. In some cases Giftcards2Canada will rely on you to ensure certain information such as your street addresses, email address or telephone number is current, complete and accurate as well as the recipient’s street addresses, email address or telephone number is current, complete and accurate. Giftcards2Canada will not routinely update your personal information unless it is necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected.
- Safeguards: Giftcards2Canada is committed to the safekeeping of your personal information in order to prevent its loss, theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, duplication, use or modification. Depending on the sensitivity of your personal information, Giftcards2Canada will employ appropriate security measures to protect the information. Safeguards vary depending on the sensitivity of the data. Giftcards2Canada will also use appropriate security measures when disposing of your personal information.
- Openness: Giftcards2Canada is open about the policies, procedures and practices it uses to protect your personal information. To ensure the integrity of our security procedures and business methods, Giftcards2Canada may refuse to publically disclose certain information. Giftcards2Canada will make available the name, title and address of the person accountable for the policies, procedures and practices and to whom complaints or inquiries can be provided.
- Individual Access: You have a right to access your personal information held by Giftcards2Canada. Upon request and confirmation of your identity, Giftcards2Canada will, within a reasonable period of time, tell you what personal information it has, what it is being used for and to whom it has been disclosed. You may be asked to be specific about the information that you would like to access and to submit your request in writing. Depending on the type and amount of information requested, Giftcards2Canada may charge you a reasonable fee for providing you with access to your information. Where a cost will be incurred by you, Giftcards2Canada will inform you of the cost and request your direction on whether or not Giftcards2Canada should proceed with the request.In some situations, Giftcards2Canada may not be able to provide access to certain personal information. The reasons for not providing this information may include that it is information that would threaten the life or security of another person, information generated in a formal dispute resolution process, information that contains references to other individuals, information that cannot be disclosed for legal, security or commercial proprietary reasons and information that is subject to solicitor-client privilege.If your personal information is demonstrated to be inaccurate or incomplete, Giftcards2Canada will amend the information as required. Where appropriate Giftcards2Canada will send the amended information to third parties to whom the information has been disclosed.
- Addressing comments and concerns: Giftcards2Canada welcomes your comments and suggestions concerning this privacy statement. You are to direct any complaints, concerns or questions regarding this policy in writing to the privacy officer. Contact information: Privacy@Giftcards2Canada.com